Lendlees offered a summary of the Lowell meeting in an early thread:
I was there this morning. KSB is a breath of fresh air. She was very forthright and blunt about the issues that are going on and the extent of her influence with the existing board.Can others who were there please comment on and summarize the meetings?
She took copious notes about the issues we raised and is planning to bring them to her one on one with the Superintendent this week.
The issues we raised were:
Kay is very much an advocate since her sons went through APP as well.
- Lowell and TM should not be treated like other schools. We have unique programs that require special staffing not accounted for in the existing WSS formula. (example: you can't have .4 of a teacher)
- There is no curriculum for APP yet.
- We have very large class sizes (29 in 3rd/5th grade)
- We have a large number of split grades.
- Everyday Math is a terrible curriculum for APP and cannot be taught in a split class setting.
- Why are we getting penalized about lack of stimulus money this year when we didn't benefit from it last year.
- Just because Lowell looks 'successful' on the outside doesn't mean there aren't inherent issues that need extra support.