- Julia Robinson Festival: http://mathforlove.com/julia-robinson-festival/ (Feb 25th) This is my favorite extra-curricular Mathematics activity of the entire year by far. I highly recommend signing up for it.
- Proof School: http://www.proofschool.org/#we-love-math. This is the holy grail for me. I really we wish we had something like this in Seattle (preferably public of course.) In general, I think we underachieve for our given talent pool vs. other local public school systems.
- As far as I can tell the math pathways remain unchanged this year (in particular for rising sixth graders.)
- We'll have a new HCC Math site at REMS. Not many details are out.
- Money was budgeted to research a new MS Math curriculum but that's in doubt unless we don't go over the levy cliff.
- http://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/ib-research/dp/maths-comparison-summary-report.pdf A comparision of IB vs other math pathways included AP Calculus.
"As sure as one plus one equals two, it happens year after year. Kids who have been bringing home A’s in chemistry and acing AP Calculus arrive at college with visions of STEM careers dancing in their heads. Then they hit an invisible, but very painful, wall."So how's Math going for your students this year?